Online dating has become one of the most popular ways of meeting new people nowadays. As fun and convenient as it may seem it does not take away the fact that when you choose to become one with the online dating community you are basically opening yourself to strangers that essential “live” on the internet.
Many claim that they use dating sites to find love and long term partners but according to the research done by Kaspersky Lab that might not be the case. In South Africa 31% of the population use online dating sites and apps such as Tinder, Bumble and OKCupid. Research has revealed that people searching for love on these sites is just a minority as over 50% are using dating sites and apps for fun and 19% of the people said they are just looking for sex.
Most people would associate online dating with having fun however danger lurks! Below are our tops safety tips for online daters:
- Always do research on the app or site that you choose to use for online dating.
- Beware of scammers!! It is a dating site – not a donation site so stay away from people who will ask for money.
- Never send nude pictures and videos of yourself, one one might use that against you to extort money.
- Never give out your personal information, e.g your specific residential address.
- Always take yourself to the place where you are making your date because if they pick you up they will know where you stay and we do not want that.
- When the time comes for you to meet your date face-to-face, make sure it is in a very public and busy place that you feel comfortable in. Do not forget to let your friends and family know about your whereabouts and it would also be an advantage if you meet somewhere where you have a friend or family member close by.
- If you are going to be consuming alcohol on your date, one glass is enough. Keep a very close eye on your drink and food just to make sure that no one is putting in substances that might knock you out.
- Always make sure that your date happens during the day rather than night time, more especially if it is your first date.
- Lastly. have a pepper spray or tazer on hand in case you find yourself in a compromising situation that requires you to defend yourself physically.